Well today was a roller coaster ride of events! Brooklyn did wake up some today and was very feisty but before we get to that lets start at the beginning.
As we prepared for the surgery this morning it had come to every ones attention that Brooklyn had developed a blood clot in a vein just above the infected area. Dr. Scaife said we would look at it today in the O.R. and decide what we were going to do. As it turns out he decide that it was to risky to leave alone so they removed the vein (Hey what's one more scare at this point right :) ).
Dr. Scaife also told us that this is the rare flesh eating disease that you hear about sometimes on the news. They believe after these two follow up surgeries that they have removed all of that bad bacteria and Dr. Scaife told us that he is more than likely done with his portion of the surgeries now and will be following things through with the plastic surgeons.
After surgery while we were waiting to get back in to see her the head nurse over the PICU came out to the waiting room and told us that they had been following some fluid build up in her chest cavity and would like to go in and remove it. My wife is right on top of these things and knew that would be the best thing to do especially sense she mentioned that the fluid could be carrying some bacteria :( . They pulled approx. 4 oz. of fluid out of her chest and sent it for analysis which will be back in approx. 2 days. )
Once we were able to get in to see her the rest of the day went pretty well! Although the vacuum machine that pulls the toxins from her open wound was not working right and they came in and opened the wound up in her room and Dad assisted in keeping Brooklyn calm why they put a new sponge in and cleaned up the wound. For any of you that know me and the sight of blood you would have been laughing. Hey but I was tough until it was over and then I went to the waiting room before I passed out.
She woke up and was excited to watch the Hannah Montana Concert on the hospital movie station and to see those that came to visit. She was very itchy (I'm sure from all of the medicine) which her mom tried to help her with, but Brooklyn shoved her hand away and did it herself. If looks could kill Nickole would be dead right now, hum I wonder who she gets that from!!!:) It is good to see her awake.
The skin grafts will be put off until mid week so they can let the toxins get out of her system as much as possible.
On a side note I have to tell you all thank you for your calls, prayers and thoughts. I was talking with the nurse today that pushed for Brooklyn to be sent to the PICU. We both believe that it is because of our Heavenly Father hearing our prayers and blessings that she is where she is today. The fact that we caught this so early, thanks to Dr. Swinyard (Brooklyn's Diabetes Dr. who gave us some suggestions over the phone of what he thought it might be) and that we were presented with an open bed in the ICS unit of the hospital where they know how to spot Septic Shock, That our nurse felt prompted after the first day to push us to get to the PICU and have a surgeon look at her, that the Doctor that we had to perform the surgery is one of the top surgeons in the country for these types of cases and especially that her mother has had instinct and promptings to do everything necessary to save this little girls leg is just amazing. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Heavenly Father had a hand in saving this little girl and her leg. I am very grateful as I sit here tonight to know that Heavenly Father must have something very special for her to do because for as much as she has been through she is still going strong!
I would like to thank those of you that have come up to show us your support. Brooklyn will hopefully be out of the PICU in approx. a week, but we understand that we will probably be at PCMC for about a month. I would ask that if you are thinking of coming up to see her that you wait until we are out of the PICU only because we can only have 3 people in the room at a time and it is very difficult to get people escorted in and out of the PICU which really wears on the poor nurses trying to enforce the rules.
I love you and ask that you keep Brooklyn in your prayers and thoughts.
As we prepared for the surgery this morning it had come to every ones attention that Brooklyn had developed a blood clot in a vein just above the infected area. Dr. Scaife said we would look at it today in the O.R. and decide what we were going to do. As it turns out he decide that it was to risky to leave alone so they removed the vein (Hey what's one more scare at this point right :) ).
Dr. Scaife also told us that this is the rare flesh eating disease that you hear about sometimes on the news. They believe after these two follow up surgeries that they have removed all of that bad bacteria and Dr. Scaife told us that he is more than likely done with his portion of the surgeries now and will be following things through with the plastic surgeons.
After surgery while we were waiting to get back in to see her the head nurse over the PICU came out to the waiting room and told us that they had been following some fluid build up in her chest cavity and would like to go in and remove it. My wife is right on top of these things and knew that would be the best thing to do especially sense she mentioned that the fluid could be carrying some bacteria :( . They pulled approx. 4 oz. of fluid out of her chest and sent it for analysis which will be back in approx. 2 days. )
Once we were able to get in to see her the rest of the day went pretty well! Although the vacuum machine that pulls the toxins from her open wound was not working right and they came in and opened the wound up in her room and Dad assisted in keeping Brooklyn calm why they put a new sponge in and cleaned up the wound. For any of you that know me and the sight of blood you would have been laughing. Hey but I was tough until it was over and then I went to the waiting room before I passed out.
She woke up and was excited to watch the Hannah Montana Concert on the hospital movie station and to see those that came to visit. She was very itchy (I'm sure from all of the medicine) which her mom tried to help her with, but Brooklyn shoved her hand away and did it herself. If looks could kill Nickole would be dead right now, hum I wonder who she gets that from!!!:) It is good to see her awake.
The skin grafts will be put off until mid week so they can let the toxins get out of her system as much as possible.
On a side note I have to tell you all thank you for your calls, prayers and thoughts. I was talking with the nurse today that pushed for Brooklyn to be sent to the PICU. We both believe that it is because of our Heavenly Father hearing our prayers and blessings that she is where she is today. The fact that we caught this so early, thanks to Dr. Swinyard (Brooklyn's Diabetes Dr. who gave us some suggestions over the phone of what he thought it might be) and that we were presented with an open bed in the ICS unit of the hospital where they know how to spot Septic Shock, That our nurse felt prompted after the first day to push us to get to the PICU and have a surgeon look at her, that the Doctor that we had to perform the surgery is one of the top surgeons in the country for these types of cases and especially that her mother has had instinct and promptings to do everything necessary to save this little girls leg is just amazing. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Heavenly Father had a hand in saving this little girl and her leg. I am very grateful as I sit here tonight to know that Heavenly Father must have something very special for her to do because for as much as she has been through she is still going strong!
I would like to thank those of you that have come up to show us your support. Brooklyn will hopefully be out of the PICU in approx. a week, but we understand that we will probably be at PCMC for about a month. I would ask that if you are thinking of coming up to see her that you wait until we are out of the PICU only because we can only have 3 people in the room at a time and it is very difficult to get people escorted in and out of the PICU which really wears on the poor nurses trying to enforce the rules.
I love you and ask that you keep Brooklyn in your prayers and thoughts.



2 comments:
Thanks for keeping us updated. Mom told me that Brooklyn is down to just two machines today. I was so excited to hear that! I know she has a long road ahead of her but we are so excited it is starting to go in a better direction. I feel like I can breathe again. :) LOVE you guys!!!
It's great to see her beautiful eyes open. Love you guys.
Post a Comment